4 March, 2017
The main course today was the music that graced (and maybe shocked) my ears. The workshop with the Inventi ensemble was surprisingly fun! I was not sure what to expect because the description in the program was not very helpful, but in the arts when is anything clear? The workshop was a very child-like activity and the members of the ensemble leading it were each what I would call a “people person”. Melissa, in particular, was very interactive with the children involved. So we were given three options of instruments we could construct out of a few supplies including rubber bands, cardboard cylinders, rubber gloves and shoeboxes. One of the instruments the Inventi ensemble coined a “harp”, which was a shoebox with rubber bands. Another was the “shaker”, which was basically a rain stick with macaroni inside. Last but not least, because it’s the one I chose, was the “bassoon”. This was made with a cardboard cylinder, a rubber band, tubing, and a rubber glove. Once it was constructed this contraption made a deep and bellowing foghorn noise that filled the corner of each room. This is something I would definitely run down the street with blowing just to shock the unsuspecting pedestrians. We were also able to cut a hole in the cylinder, allowing us to create different pitches. What a fun little workshop, although I could see myself getting light headed from just wanting to play around with it all day.
No comments:
Post a Comment