18 March, 2017
 |
| Image 1 |
A very fitting event for the
festival was
Converge on the Goulburn,
appropriately suiting Shepp Fest’s theme of multi-culturalism. This event was
like a festival within a festival. First stall I went to was the Henna stand. I
got a cute $2 henna, not the best I’ve gotten, but I guess what can you expect
for $2. It is still a great way to spread another culture’s artistic practice.
Personally, I love getting henna and it usually lasts a little longer than this
one has. Not the highest quality, but again great way to spread another
culture. On the opposite side of the event were stalls lined up with food from
different nations. It smelled good and a lot of it definitely looked homemade.
Everything was nice and cheap, which is a bonus for a uni student especially! I
got to try Kangaroo for the first time from the Aboriginal stand. It was only a
bite of someone else’s kangaroo burger (again, I’m not crazy, I knew the person
whose burger it was) but it was fairly interesting. Maybe I should have got a
whole one, but apparently they were overpowered by the taste of grilled onions.
Honestly, I probably would not have minded that, onions are amazing!
 |
| Image 2 |
There were
a lot of performers on this very, very hot day. Good on them for staying in the
blazing sun while everyone scampered to find shade. Around 5pm the performers
became more engaging and lured the audience out of their shady oasis to
surround the stage. They had music from different cultures like Aboriginal,
African, and Brazilian just to name a few. Performances ranged from clowning
with music, Asian fighting form, to a diverse clash of bands and instruments.
As the music played on, kids began to dance and soon the adults too. I wish I danced
with them, but I was not feeling too well. This was an adorable way to spread
culture in this little town.
(Image 1 - Converge on the Goulburn)
(Image 2 - Henna from Converge Fest)
No comments:
Post a Comment