The It’s a Wrap/Slam in Shepp was
INSPIRATIONAL!! I did not go in expecting much because I cast aside poetry in
high school due to the tedious analyses in English class. The workshop held
by Joel McKerrow was amazing. I was hanging on his every word. This was by far
the best day of my entire Shepp Fest experience. It made me fall even deeper in
love with writing. The first piece that Joel performed for us was so incredibly
powerful and emotional. It was about the life of “the artist” and I think
everyone in the room could relate. I was engaged in every activity that he set
for us. It reminded me of a writing style I used to be very interested in. I
used writing as a therapeutic method to think things through and I feel it
produced very beautiful prose that was rich with imagery.
The first
poets to perform in the final session were, of course, Joel McKerrow, Rikki
Livermore, Abe Nouk and Soreti Kadir. I loved listening to these beautiful
pieces. It really managed to wiggle it’s way past my ignorant societal
implemented judgment of a slam poetry session and pull forth my creative
appreciation and admiration.
If
there is one thing I will take away from everything that day it would be to
write daily. It’s not all going to be magnificent, most probably not and will
need to be dumped, but at least I will be writing.
(Image 1 - It's a Wrap with Shepparton class and Joel McKerrow)

I'm trying to write every day too Nicolette - inspired by Joel's incredible example. So glad the Slam knocked your socks off :)
ReplyDelete